Friday, February 12, 2010

PROFILE


Having a specific breed of dog can often call for regular bathing, haircuts and brushing out curly, matted or wirer hair.

For all those dog owners who need to keep their Westies and their Lhasas groomed looked no further than Celia Schindler.
Celia Schindler (former manger of PETCO Grooming) has the most request appointments in the Corvallis Salon. With a unique talent and grate salesmanship, this 23 year-old Corvallis native is a portrait of professionalism and leadership.

Celia is full of life and always has a story to share. She is very easy going and can light up a room in an instant. While she is in control of the salon, she keeps everybody motivated and in high spirits especially when its busy.

Co-worker Julie House recalls when she first started at the salon. "I had never worked at a pet store before; I have a degree for environmental science. But when I needed a job I felt very lucky to have such a wonderful manager! She took her time to help me understand the job and also taught me how to trim nails properly. Celia is more than just a boss, we have defiantly developed a friendship while working together."

When she checks in a dog, she always asks what kind of haircut the customer would like. A seasonal spa package is an upgraded service that includes an oatmeal shampoo, moisturizers, a monthly shampoo and tooth brushing. Not every customer takes advantage of this service but Celia's clients know that upgrading for their furry friend helps avoid possible vet bills.

The clients are given an estimated wait time, they leave and Celia gets right to work. First she will wash them in the huge stainless steal tub. Warm water pours over the pup from noes to toes. Soapy suds are massaged into the coat of the pup and wonderful aromas fill the back of the salon.

After the bath the dog is dried off with a huge hair dryer that blows any lose undercoat away that the dog may have. They finish drying in the sona spa dryer until they are ready for the haircut.

While her other dogs are drying she will take one out for the haircut. Depending on the breed a haircut can take between 20 - 40 minutes. When they are finished they are topped off with a spray on coat sheer that comes in a rainbow of flavors.

Most of her work days are fully booked and customers leave satisfied with a happy pet. Golden Retrievers, Poodles and Yorkshire Terriers are just a few of the fun clients that Celia grooms. A full service groom includes the bath, a nail trim, ears cleaned and the haircut. On average she can groom up to nine dogs a day. Her work is fast pace and as she explains it "There can be some difficult ones at times."
Celia has also taught and mentored Ashley Meyer for grooming school. For 15 weeks she showed Ashley all the techniques of breed cuts and mix cuts. Ashley recalls, "I had wanted to be a groomer for as long as I can remember. I couldn't have asked for a better instructor! Celia showed me how to up sell services and gave me confidence while practicing the hair cuts."

I asked Celia how she got into the grooming business.
"I started going to OSU and got a job as a bather. I was doing that for about a year and then PETCO sent me to school to be a groomer. Since then I deiced this is what I want to do, when the manager position opened up I gladly excepted."

She has been working at the grooming salon for almost four years now.
"I have made a lot of friends and met so many nice people, the relationship I have built with my clients has grown so much. Every Christmas I'll come home with a ton of gifts or fudge and sometimes gift cards!"

She plans one day to have her own dog grooming business. Celia has gotten her name around to the community and is a trusted stylist for many dog owners. She has clients that travel from Canby and Newport to get their dogs groomed by her. She is truly successful for her age and has many goals to fulfill in the future.

The last question I had to ask was what is her favorite breed of dog to groom? She answered very proudly, "Shih Tzus', because my dog Freddy is one and I love giving her a haircut! "

You can find the PETCO Grooming Salon at the Timberhill Shopping Center on northwest Kings Boulevard. The salon is open at 7 a.m. and closes at 9 p.m. Walk In's are always welcomed for a bath or just a nail trim although for a haircut customers are urged to call ahead to make an appointment a few days in advance.


AT A GLANCE:

WHO? Celia Schindler PETCO Groomer

WHERE? PETCO GROOMING

WHY? Keep your dogs clean and cut

WHAT? The pet store where you can find everything you need to pamper your pet

HOURS: Salon: 7 a.m. - 9 p.m.
Store: 9 a.m. - 9 p.m.

More Information: Salon number: 541.766.8251

1 comment:

  1. I hear Celia opened up her own shop. Do you know how to contact her?

    ReplyDelete